September 6, 2012
It’s that time of year again!!! This time we are making our celebration bigger and better than last year so you don’t want to miss out!
1. We are having a photo booth! Bring your kids and take whacky and fun pictures with family and friends. The photo booth will be available from 11am to 3pm on Saturday September 8th, 2012. For the first 100 kids, there will be gift packages and prizes to be won.
2. We will also have unbeatable 3-day only promotions! There will be a free upgrade to Transitions (Value $150) on any pair of lenses purchased from our store. Thanks to our sponsor, Essilor. It’s great way to protect your eyes from harmful UV Rays and glare without carrying an extra pair of prescription sunglasses. For our sunglasses, there will be 20% off all non-prescription sunglasses (excluding Maui Jims). We are also offering 30% off your second pair of prescription lenses and 50% off your 3rd pair of prescription lenses. Offers expire on September 10th, 2012.
3. We will have a box of DVD’s with various titles like Cars, The Incredibles, Family Guy and etc. $1 donation for each DVD will go to CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind). They provide community-based support to help Canadians who are blind or partially-sighted achieve their goals and increase their independence.
4. Finally, there will be Kerrisdale Idol, an outdoor movie (E.T.), free community coffee, sidewalk sales, balloons, birthday cakes and more…
So make sure you don’t miss out on the festivities!!!! Come out and have a blast this weekend in Kerrisdale!
Contact Avenue Eyecare to book your appointment today.
March 21, 2012
I recently had a mini-reunion with some of my closest friends from optometry school and we started chatting about rare cases we’ve come across over the last few years. I remember we used to wonder if we’d ever see the rare and random conditions we’d learn in class, and unfortunately we do. My professor used to say “It’s not rare, if it’s in your chair!”
My friend shared a case about a 2 year old she saw, who had a rare cancerous tumour in one of her eyes, called retinoblastoma. There are about 350 new cases per year in the U.S. and most cases affect only one eye. It’s caused by a gene mutation that controls cell division. There is a family correlation (hereditary component) in some of the cases. This tumour usually affects children under the age of 6, so it’s definitely something all optometrists look for in pediatric eye exams.
Here are some important signs parents can look for:
1. A white pupil (also known as leukocoria)
2. A crossed eye (either inwards or outwards)
3. Differing iris colors (also known as heterochromia)
4. Poor vision
5. Eye pain and redness
My friend’s patient had different scans done immediately to confirm the presence of the tumour and they checked if it had spread to any other part of the body. Treatment options include enucleation (removal of the eye), radiation and laser treatment, chemoreduction, and cryotherapy. In this case, based on the evaluation done by the ophthalmologist, the patient was flown to Toronto for enucleation.
I hope I never see one of these cases in my career, but it’s a big reminder about why I’m such a strong advocate for routine children’s eye exams
Dr. Jessica Chang, OD firstname.lastname@example.org
January 25, 2012
Gong Hay Fat Choy! Happy Chinese New Year everybody! Recently, many of our patients have been asking if their child’s eye exam is covered by their BC Care Card. So today, I’ll take some time to talk about what BC Care Card covers at our clinic.
1. Children( 6months – 18 years): Comprehensive eye exams at the age of 18 and younger are ALL covered by BC Carecard. We start seeing children at the age of 6 months to check their ocular motor functions, vision, and also ocular health. (e.g. retinoblastoma, ocular tumour in the eye). Children are entitled to have 1 full exam annually and is FULLY covered by BC Care Card.
2. Ocular Emergencies: Here are some examples but not limited to
- Red Eyes – we can diagnose/treat these conditions with medications. You can avoid the long line ups at your family doctor or at the ER
- Sudden Onset of Flashes/Floaters – we will dilate your eyes to rule out any retinal holes or detachments (best done within 3 days)
- Foreign body removal – we are trained to remove any metals or wood chips with our special equipment
- Eye Pain/Dry Eyes
1. Seniors(Age 65 or older) : At Avenue Eyecare, the senior eye exams are PARTIALLY covered. At Avenue Eyecare we conduct a complete eye health examination not just an eye test or screening. We provide our patients with an accurate, up to date prescription to match their vision needs. We also examine the health structures of the eye, including ocular surface structures, and the back structures of the eye. We use the latest technology to search for any early signs of eye health issues or in some cases, signs of other systemic health concerns. Our newest equipment includes a digital retinal camera, digital slit lamp(photographs ocular surface structures) and computed visual fields(peripheral vision analysis). This sets us apart from other optometry clinics because we take our time educating our seniors with the latest technology. Seniors are entitled to a PARTIALLY covered eye exam annually.
2. Adults (Age 19-64) Routine examinations are not a BC Carecard covered benefit for people between 19 and 64 years old. However, if you have an underlying medical condition, your eye exam may be PARTIALLY covered(not limited to):
- ocular disease, trauma or injury (e.g. cataracts)
- systemic diseases associated with significant ocular risk (e.g. diabetes)
- medications associated with significant ocular risk (e.g. Plaquenil)
- Recommended treatments such as eyeglasses, contact lenses, low vision aids and eye co-ordination exercises
- Contact lens fitting
- Eye examinations that are required by potential employers or other third parties (with the exception of DMV)
- Laser refractive surgery co-management (pre- and post-operative visits)
If you have any other questions, feel free to contact our office at 604.558.1133 or email us at email@example.com
Dr. Sherman Tung OD FAAO firstname.lastname@example.org